- Named after Sir Thomas Beckett in 1173
- The hospital was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1548 & reopened in 1552 by Edward VI
- Premises were moved from Southwark to its current location of Lambeth in 1862 and construction was completed in 1871
- The foundation stone was laid by Queen Victoria in 1868
- Florence Nightingale set up her nursing school in 1859 at St Thomas’s
- In 1818 the first blood transfusion using human blood was carried out at St Thomas’s
J E Putney & Sons were awarded the contract to carry out the restoration of the lime plastering works to the central chapel (1 of the oldest parts of the hospital). A substantial area of damaged masonry walls were repaired using 3 coat haired lime plaster.